Recycling in Haines
* Holiday lights strings can be recycled when we do our electronic recycling in the summer. Please remove the light bulbs first.
* Too many tote bags in your closet? The “bag ladies” at the library and the grocery stores need bags to share. By giving your excess bags to the “bag ladies”, we can cut down on single use bags. You can also take your extra paper bags to Howser’s for others to use.
* Shopping locally supports our local artists and businesses and reduces the carbon footprint of shipping.
* If you are shopping through Fred Meyers or Amazon, you can make donations to Haines Friends of Recycling. When you shop on AmazonSmile, the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible products to the charitable organization of your choice; just shop at smile.amazon.com and designate “Haines Friends of Recycling”. With Fred Meyers Sign up for the Community Rewards program by linking your Fred Meyer Rewards Card to Haines Friends of Recycling at www.fredmeyer.com/communityrewards.
* You can make gift donations to Haines Friends of Recycling (separate from memberships) on our face-book page (facebook.com/HainesFriendsOfRecycling/)
* Trying to think of a nice gift that doesn’t add to the waste stream? Make a donation to a favorite non-profit in the person’s honor. You can send such donations to HFR, PO Box 822, Haines AK 99827. Just add a note designating that your donation is in honor of (person’s name) and include their email or postal address so we can notify them.
* Offer to pick up recycling from friends and neighbors and especially people who don’t have transportation. Offer to help them set up a self-sorting system at home.
* Want to have a Zero Waste event? Compostable service ware is available for sale at cost through HFR (email Melissa at email@example.com). Thirty washable place settings are available through Joy Graves at the Library. Genny Rietze also has washable silverware available to borrow.
HFR recycles about 250,000 lbs a year, over 600 lbs a day, with support from: community memberships and donations, free back haul from AML for 6 vans, grants from the Haines Borough and Chilkat Valley Community Foundation (CVCF), and consistent volunteer efforts. HFR helps with special event recycling, loans out recycling containers, and sells compostable service ware for large events.
"LIKE" us on FACEBOOK for all of the latest HFR announcements and events!
The Recycling Center at Mile 2.5 on Small Tracts Road is open 24/7 for SELF-SORTED recycle drop off. You need to know: What Recyclables does HFR Accept? PLEASE SELF-SORT CAREFULLY: we don't have the staff or volunteer time to sort for you.
Find us in Haines to recycle HERE
CHECK IT OUT: Now You Can Renew Your Membership Online!