SELF-SORTED Recyclable Drop-off at Mile 2.5 on Small Tracts Road is available 24/7 with staffing hours for assistance Th/F 9-12 and Sat 10-2.
You need to know: What Recyclables does HFR Accept?
Haines Friends of Recycling has two scholarships available, both for up to $500. The Frank and Ramona Holmes Scholarship is for students with a declared interest in environmental science, recycling, and/or related fields of study. The Bill Aronson Memorial Scholarship is open to high school graduates or other members of the community who are interested in careers in renewable energy or energy efficient building and high school seniors who have demonstrated leadership in recycling For more information…
We are looking for a year-round part-time person (10-15 hours a week) to add to our recycling team. We need someone who either has equipment experience or is willing to learn, who likes to work with people, and who is reliable. For more information, contact us at 766-2185 or email@example.com.
Do you need someone to pick up your recyclables?
Do you have a special event coming up and need recycling collection and pickup?
With Covid, event planning is subject to change. Details will be announced as we draw closer to events.
EARTH DAY April 23:
For other ways to celebrate Earth Day, visit EarthDay.org for information about Earth Week events. Or you can follow or join their projects (any time of the year) such as tree planting all across the globe, climate and environmental literacy work, education and action resources, and lots more.
- April 20 (Tuesday) Global Youth Climate Summit
- April 21 (Wednesday) Teach for the Planet
- April 22 (Thursday) Restore Our Earth
PLANT SALE May 15, 11AM-1PM at the American Legion
ELECTRONIC RECYCLING – June 10, 11, and 12, 10 AM to 2 PM each day. Thursday June 10 is reserved for large volumes of recycling (20 items or more); please make a reservation by calling 766-2185 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Friday June 11, and Saturday June 12, are for smaller amounts. Details to be announced
SEAK FAIR July 29-Aug.1 – We will need volunteers to help with recycling and composting.
SCRAP METAL RECYCLING August 13 and 14 – Details to be announced
FISH NET RECYCLING October 2 – Details to be announced
ANNUAL MEETING – Details to be announced
* Holiday lights strings can be recycled when we do our electronic recycling in the summer. Please remove the light bulbs first.
* Too many tote bags in your closet? The “bag ladies” at the library and the grocery stores need bags to share. By giving your excess bags to the “bag ladies”, we can cut down on single use bags. You can also take your extra paper bags to Howser’s for others to use.
* Shopping locally supports our local artists and businesses and reduces the carbon footprint of shipping.
* If you are shopping through Fred Meyers or Amazon, you can make donations to Haines Friends of Recycling. When you shop on AmazonSmile, the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible products to the charitable organization of your choice; just shop at smile.amazon.com and designate “Haines Friends of Recycling”. With Fred Meyers Sign up for the Community Rewards program by linking your Fred Meyer Rewards Card to Haines Friends of Recycling at www.fredmeyer.com/communityrewards.
* You can make gift donations to Haines Friends of Recycling (separate from memberships) on our face-book page (facebook.com/HainesFriendsOfRecycling/)
* Trying to think of a nice gift that doesn’t add to the waste stream? Make a donation to a favorite non-profit in the person’s honor. You can send such donations to HFR, PO Box 822, Haines AK 99827. Just add a note designating that your donation is in honor of (person’s name) and include their email or postal address so we can notify them.
* Offer to pick up recycling from friends and neighbors and especially people who don’t have transportation. Offer to help them set up a self-sorting system at home.
* Want to have a Zero Waste event? Compostable service ware is available for sale at cost through HFR (email Melissa at email@example.com). Thirty washable place settings are available through Joy Graves at the Library. Genny Rietze also has washable silverware available to borrow.
HFR recycles about 250,000 lbs a year, over 600 lbs a day, with support from: community memberships and donations, free back haul from AML for 6 vans, grants from the Haines Borough and Chilkat Valley Community Foundation (CVCF), and consistent volunteer efforts. HFR helps with special event recycling, loans out recycling containers, and sells compostable service ware for large events.
“LIKE” us on FACEBOOK for all of the latest HFR announcements and events!
The Recycling Center at Mile 2.5 on Small Tracts Road is open 24/7 for SELF-SORTED recycle drop off. You need to know: What Recyclables does HFR Accept? PLEASE SELF-SORT CAREFULLY: we don’t have the staff or volunteer time to sort for you.
CHECK IT OUT: Now You Can Renew Your Membership Online!
Low-grade paper: Low-grade (mixed, shiny) paper IS CURRENTLY NO LONGER RECYCLABLE. If we ship it out for recycling, it is just land-filled and we are charged for it. This has been the case for about a year and we have been watching the market and nothing in the foreseeable future indicates this will change. We are able to cover our costs on white paper, newsprint, cardboard, and shredded white paper. Carefully sorting your white paper for recycling will help us.
How can you reduce how much low-grade paper you receive?
- Call catalogue companies and ask to be taken off their mailing list and the mailing list of “sister” publications; perhaps ask them to put you on an email list.
- Encourage organizations to print their materials on recyclable white paper or newsprint.
- For magazines, consider getting an on-line version or reading the library subscription.
Earth Day: April 22, 2020 was the 50th anniversary of Earth Day! Our local planning group meets and begins planning early in the year for our events and celebration of Earth Day. If you would like to be involved in the planning, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org