Recycling in Haines
1. Thank you to everyone who attended our Earth Day events on the theme of “Plastic Pollution and Solutions”. There are two outcomes from our activities. One is a draft ordinance that will ban plastic single-use carry out bags. The Assembly unanimously voted to move the ban to a first hearing on May 14. For more information, contact Melissa at 766-2185 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The second is local fish net recycling. Stay tuned for information about a net collection drive in the fall. Contact Molly Sturdevant for more information at 907-723-7182 or email@example.com.
2. Recycle Your Shoes and Boots!
Community groups in Haines have partnered with the non-profit organization Soles4Souls to help collect new and gently-worn shoes for the 767 million people living in extreme poverty around the world. You can make a difference! Bring your new or gently-worn shoes and boots to one of our collection sites: School Lobby or Haines Presbyterian Church April 18 through May 24, 2019.
3. Hospice Sale May 4 and 5 with drop-off on Friday beginning at 8 AM at Harriett Hall. More details on the Hospice Facebook page.
4. Plant Sale Saturday May 11 from 10 to noon at the ANB/ANS hall. 766-2185 for more information. 10% of the proceeds support HFR special events. Watch for posters.
5. Community and marine debris cleanup May 18. HFR partnered with State Parks, Haines Hiking Group, and CIA for marine debris beach cleanups at Twin Coves on Friday May 17 and at Battery Point area May 18 after the TWC-Coastal Code community cleanup and snacks. Details to follow, contact Molly Sturdevant at 907-723-7182 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Marie Boisvert at email@example.com
6. Electronic Recycling June 7 and 8 from 10-2 both days at the Recycling Center. Watch for more information about what we can and can’t accept. 40 cents a pound. Volunteers needed!
7. Haines Friends of Recycling has opened a “Scrap Box” at the Recycling Center. ScrapBox open hours are Th/F 9-noon and Saturday 10 to 2. We have a variety of reusable items and items brought into the Center that can be re-purposed such as wine corks, TP rolls for planters, 1 gallon cream containers, and cotton t-shirts for shopping bags.
Ideas are appreciated! Volunteers needed to help open and watch the store. Contact Frank Holmes for more information: 766-3721 or firstname.lastname@example.org
* Holiday lights strings can be recycled when we do our electronic recycling in the summer. Please remove the light bulbs first.
* Too many tote bags in your closet? The “bag ladies” at the library and the grocery stores need bags to share. By giving your excess bags to the “bag ladies”, we can cut down on single use bags. You can also take your extra paper bags to Howser’s for others to use.
* Shopping locally supports our local artists and businesses and reduces the carbon footprint of shipping.
* If you are shopping through Fred Meyers or Amazon, you can make donations to Haines Friends of Recycling. When you shop on AmazonSmile, the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible products to the charitable organization of your choice; just shop at smile.amazon.com and designate “Haines Friends of Recycling”. With Fred Meyers Sign up for the Community Rewards program by linking your Fred Meyer Rewards Card to Haines Friends of Recycling at www.fredmeyer.com/
* You can make gift donations to Haines Friends of Recycling (separate from memberships) on our face-book page (facebook.com/
* Trying to think of a nice gift that doesn’t add to the waste stream? Make a donation to a favorite non-profit in the person’s honor. You can send such donations to HFR, PO Box 822, Haines AK 99827. Just add a note designating that your donation is in honor of (person’s name) and include their email or postal address so we can notify them.
* Offer to pick up recycling from friends and neighbors and especially people who don’t have transportation. Offer to help them set up a self-sorting system at home.
* Want to have a Zero Waste event? Compostable service ware is available for sale at cost through HFR (email Melissa at email@example.com).
HFR recycles about 250,000 lbs a year, over 600 lbs a day, with support from: community memberships and donations, free back haul from AML for 6 vans, grants from the Haines Borough and Chilkat Valley Community Foundation (CVCF), and consistent volunteer efforts. HFR helps with special event recycling, loans out recycling containers, and sells compostable service ware for large events.
"LIKE" us on FACEBOOK for all of the latest HFR announcements and events!
The Recycling Center at Mile 2.5 on Small Tracts Road is open 24/7 for SELF-SORTED recycle drop off. You need to know: What Recyclables does HFR Accept? PLEASE SELF-SORT CAREFULLY: we don't have the staff or volunteer time to sort for you.
Find us in Haines to recycle HERE
CHECK IT OUT: Now You Can Renew Your Membership Online!
Do you need someone to pick up your recyclables?
Do you have a special event coming up and need recycling collection and pickup?